Sunday, June 29, 2014

Latest Reading-Mr. Mercedes

My co-workers and I would joke that anyone who came into an interview at a library who answered the question: "Why do you want to work here?" with "I like books." automatically fails the interview.

The thing is, if we didn't like books, we wouldn't be there.  ;)

I am happy to have my summer off not only to catch up on knitting, but also reading.  I never get time to sit down and just read a book during the school year (between work and my own school), unless they are super quick YA books.  So I just sat down and read Stephen King's latest book Mr. Mercedes.

I'm a huge Stephen King fan, and the first novels I ever read were his.  My dad had a rule that as long as whatever I chose to read was something I would read in front of him, I'd be allowed to read it.  It was the same rule his aunt gave him, and the same rule I give my kids; if you are embarrassed to be reading it, it's probably not appropriate.

Anyway, King's latest book was an interesting departure from his usual.  But still a great read, and still written in his style.  I read it in about 2 days, and enjoyed it.  I'm trying to think of what else to read.

So I stumbled on this club called Book Riot.  If anyone has ever done it, I'd love to hear feedback.  It's $50 a quarter, you can quit any time, and you get a box of books and other "literary goodies" (along the lines of a yarn club, where you get the yarn and other yarnie goodness).  I think it's a cool idea, and I love the "no commitment" angle--whether because it wasn't my cup of tea or because I wouldn't have time to read during the school year

0 comments: