Tuesday, October 18, 2011

In a New York Minute...

I had the wonderful luck to go to Rhinebeck this year, and visit my dear friend Thora and her husband Tom.  I had such a nice time, AND I FINALLY finished a sweater for myself.  Only took 12 years, but better late than never, right?



Poor Pretty Cymantha with this fat girl next to her!
We went into NYC on Friday and I got to hang with my cousin Cymantha.  I haven't seen her in over 20 years, and the last time we went to the city together, we went to the WTC (I am still not--after 10 years--ready to go to the WTC site now).  We did go to Times Square, Rockefeller Center, the Lego Store and Greenwich Village (where my cousin Roy owns the Little Lebowski, which is one kick ass little store--The Dude Abides!)  And the place where I was happiest to go--I finally got to see the inside of the New York Public Library.  I just kept touching the walls, I was so in awe!






Saturday was Rhinebeck.  I absolutely loved being surrounded by knitters, and absolutely hated it.  Many were the kindest people you were ever going to meet, marveled over each others sweaters and purchases.  Others were part of a pushy mob that had crazed looks in their eyes over wool.  One of the lines, for the Sanguine Gryphon booth, was 2 hours long.  They had their own porta potty.  I am swearing now--I will NEVER EVER EVER need yarn that bad.  EVER.

It was really nice.  I got to meet Thora's knitting group friends at an impromptu knit night at her friend Candace's house.  Good food, good fun--it was nice to just relax and knit and laugh.

Thora is sending my yarn home--I didn't purchase that much, but she went stash diving and sent me home with a bunch of beautiful stuff from her stash.  So now that the sweater is done, what next?  Well--I'm working on a BEAUTIFUL sock.  It's the Angel's Rest pattern from Fiber Trends Peak Experience leaflette.  In a gorgeous Opal green and white crocodile that Thora gave me.  Love!!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm glad you had a great trip - you deserve it

karinajean said...

it was great to meet you at Candaces!