Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Yarn Battles

Oh Lisa Souza, I love you. I love your yarn. It is women like you who enable women like me to make beautiful things. And you are genuinely a nice person.

So when my order came today it was everything I thought it would be and more. The color was gorgeous. The yarn was unbelievably soft. I ran right downstairs to wind it into pretty balls so I can knit a beautiful shawlette.

But dear Lisa, I fear your yarn hates me. The other end, that wasn't being made into the pretty little ball right away, would not take no for an answer. It continued to wrap itself around my swift. So much so, I threatened. I yelled. And...my Stork scissors did some things. I cannot be held responsible for what my Stork scissors does.

Anyway, part way through, my ball looked like this:


Unfortunately, I am not the most patient knitter. You would think this would be in a knitter's nature. Knitting takes time. But alas, I am more apt to see a mistake, and more likely than not, just fudge it. Unless it is lace, and very noticeable. Then I usually scream and chuck. Into the corner. Occasionally, I will pick up the object and frog and start over. Sometimes I throw it into a bag.

I am not a patient knitter.

So the remaining yarn on the swift and I had a discussion with my ball winder. The stork scissors stayed close by. I begged and whispered. I may have even yelled a word that started with an F. Fortunately for me (and for it) the remaining bit of yarn whispered back, and told me about that pesky end that continued to wrap itself around the swift? Well IT wanted to go into the ball first. So I did that...

And it worked. I had a cute little ball of yarn, not a lumpy monstrosity. A beautiful, soft, Lisa Souza monstrosity, but a monstrosity nonetheless.


So I took the wonky ball and began winding it into another ball. I had to splice it in one two several places. Stork scissors had been easily annoyed. But I was rewarded.

So my 3 beautiful balls of yarn and my ball winder, the Rubik's Cube (it was lonely) and even the Stork scissors found a way to get along.
So I am off to start a Shawlette. I am hoping Stork scissors does not need to get involved.

I might even go to Google Avenue to knit...

1 comments:

Mum (aka Lisa) said...

That is a pretty, pretty yarn.

And dangerous stork scissors.